Monday, July 26, 2010

what a week

this week has been crazy. monday started out with a trip to the fairgrounds to pick up our unsold items from the kids exchange. we had loaded danny's van full, like every single inch of space, with stuff to sell (close to 200 items) and we only brought home a small box of a few toys and some clothes. that means we sold tons of stuff! how exciting to not have to bring it back into our house. and hooray for the check we will receive soon :)

on monday night alanna had two friends from school over to spend the night. ugh. 15 hours of shrieking teenage girls was enough to make me tear my hair out. but i survived. they talked non-stop the entire time, didn't go to sleep until after 3 am, and then were awake at 8:30 am talking non-stop again. it was insane, haha! mom, is that what my sleepovers were like when i was 13?! malcolm loved having them here, he just sat quietly and watched them talk. he called them "nanni's girlfriends".

danny drew this on the calendar, haha

i already posted about our trip to marbles on wednesday. on thursday i was heading down a pretty busy road toward our house, and my breaks went out. not completely out, but enough to scare me, so i pulled over at a gas station and danny came and got us. my father-in-law went and got my car, and took it out to their house to do some repair work. once again, dan seriously saved the day! i am very grateful that we have him, and that he is so very helpful and kind. it seems like we have never ending car problems, and we are lucky that he is able to help us with them (or we would be in a lot of trouble). he will be so happy when someday we can afford new cars, haha.

on saturday we headed out to their house so that danny could help with the repairs. alanna and i watched episode after episode of cake boss. we were like satellite tv zombies. the guys worked on the car. vicky and the kids and i hung out. we had pizza for dinner and cupcakes for dessert. thanks again dan and vicky.

malcolm took a little dip in the pool

dan took the kids for a spin on his bike

loungin' on the patio

a failed attempt at a family photo :)

malcolm was looking for a snake up there in the bush

on sunday we went out to water our little garden, and we found three horn worms eating our tomato plants. nasty lil' critters. so we moved them to the far end of the yard (since we don't kill bugs), and here's hoping they don't come back. yuck. one of them was huge. ewww.

in the afternoon we headed downtown to meet our friends tommy, alicia, and luc at marbles, and i spotted this license plate on the van in front of me. pretty cool. it made me smile.

danny has never been to marbles with us before, so this was his first trip. you can't tell from these photos, but it was really busy, i guess because it was the weekend.

the boys had tons of fun playing. we were all having a nice time hanging out, and we took a break to have a snack and a soda. malcolm wanted to go back to the pirate ship, so alicia and luc came with us. he headed toward a little underwater room, and by the time i went in after him, he was gone. in a split second, i had lost track of him... i lost malcolm at the kids museum. it was awful. alicia and i were looking all over for him, and he was nowhere to be found. so i called danny to have him come help us look. i started to panic. we searched all over for about 5 minutes, while alicia went and told security that he was missing, and they radioed to all of the marbles staff. an employee found him upstairs in another play area. in the short time that we had first started looking for him, he had managed to walk, all by himself, up a giant staircase to the second floor.

i have no idea how this happened, but it was so scary, and i was so relieved when tommy brought him down the stairs to me. the look on his face was priceless, he knew he was in big trouble. we thanked the security guy for helping us locate him, and then explained to malcolm how important it is that he stay with me at all times, and not run off alone. and then we went home. lets hope he learned his lesson. he is so young, so i'm not totally sure if he knew what he had done was wrong. but wow, i will be sure to keep my eye on him every second when we go back again.

all that excitement wore us both out, so malcolm and i took a nap. danny took alanna to the used book store, and then they brought zpizza back to the house. we had a full stamp card, so dinner was on them. nothing better than a free meal! then we went and did our weekly grocery shopping.

danny was smitten by this little guy, so we had to bring him home. he is on a can of chocolate milk mixers (kroger brand nesquick). pretty dang cute.


  1. Oh My GOD! How scary!! I'm so glad you found him. I would have been balling my eyes out.
    I'm glad everything turned out okay.


  2. Sleepovers are the cutest! My sister wanted to play Truth or Dare at one of hers awhile ago so I made a ton of questions like "Who is your secret crush?" and "Do a handstand for 1 minute"-- the best part was that they loved the dares but thought the truths were dumb. I did a little "bringing in some snacks" eavesdropping and one girl said, "Ok, I don't need to like boys yet!" and my sister goes "Yeah! Except, like, my dad and brother, because I love them." Ah, innocence.
    I'm sorry you had a scare with Malcolm! And your car! At least the weekend ended with family time and pizza :)